Workplace Ergonomics: How to Maintain Optimal Health and Energy
Workplace ergonomics is the scientific study of how employees can function at their best in their working environment. Healthy workers are more productive than employees with health and wellness issues.
Creating a comfortable working environment boosts productivity and efficiency. On the other hand, unsafe work environments and unhealthy practices often lead to work-related injuries.
Work-Related Practices to Avoid
Unhealthy work practices and habits cause injuries such as musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs). Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS), characterized by pain and numbing of the hands and the wrists, is the most expensive work-related MSD. To prevent MSDs and other work-related injuries, avoid:
- Repetition of movements
- Standing or sitting for long periods and without breaks
- Excessive lifting, stretching, pushing, and pulling
- Extreme use of force
- Awkward and unsupported posture when working
- Working with poor lighting and under extreme temperatures
Workplace Ergonomics Tips for Efficiency and Productivity
Practice these simple workplace principles to help you increase work productivity and lessen the risk of work-related injuries.
- Do not slouch. Improve your posture by sitting straight and placing both feet on the ground.
- Sit on a chair that supports your back or lumbar spine.
- Choose a chair with armrest and support to reduce stress on the neck and arms.
- Lower your chair or use a footrest so that your feet are not dangling and rest well on the floor.
- Reduce twisting and turning movements by putting your computer monitor, keyboard, mouse, and other essential things directly in front of you.
- Keep the center of the computer screen at eye level to prevent neck strain.
- Take regular breaks and stretch your shoulders, back, hands, and legs to reduce fatigue and improve balance, posture, and coordination.
- Ensure that your workstation has adequate lighting, and your computer screen has a minimal glare.
Chiropractic Care for Optimal Health and Energy
Together with improvements in the workplace, chiropractic care improves your health, wellness, and productivity way beyond the working hours.
Your Beverly Hills chiropractor will offer a range of services that include chiropractic care, acupuncture, and cupping therapy to help prevent MSDs and other work-related injuries and guide you towards a holistic path to a pain-free lifestyle.
If you want to experience the effects of chiropractic massage and other services at the Jochen Wellness Center, call our office at 310-556-8071 to schedule an appointment.